Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ghalib: Muddat Hui Hai


Mirza Asadullah Khan 'Ghālib' (Urdu غاؔلب‎; Hindi ग़ालिब; 1797-1869) was the last great poet of the Mughal era. His takhallus ġhālib means 'dominant.'

Iqbal Bano performs Ghālib in a 1974 made-for-PTV mehfil:

Part 1:



Part 2:



मुद्दत हुई है यार को मेहमाँ किये हुए
जोश-ए-क़दह से बज़्म चराग़ाँ किये हुए

It's been long since my love were my guest
The cup's warmth had our gathering candle-lit

करता हूँ जमा फिर जिगर-ए-लख़्त-लख़्त को
अर्सा हुआ है दावत-ए-मिज़्श्गाँ किये हुए

Gather up I, again, this body piece-by-piece
Age's passed since feasting on those eyelashes

फिर पुर्सिश-ए-जराहत-ए-दिल को चला है इश्क़
सामाँ-ए-सदहज़ार नमकदाँ किये हुए

Love comes again to inquire upon Heart's wounds
Carrying a hundred-thousand salt-boxes in supply

फिर वज़ा-ए-एहतियात से रुकने लगा है दम
बरसों हुए हैं चाक गिरेबाँ किये हुए

The decorum of restraint is suffocating, again
Been years since I had tore at my collar

माँगे है फिर किसी को लब-ए-बाम पर हवस
ज़ुल्फ़-ए-सियाह रुख़ पे परेशाँ किये हुए

Again asks desire for someone by roof-edge
On a face agitated, dark disheveled hair

चाहे है फिर किसी को मुक़ाबिल में आरज़ू
सुर्मे से तेज़ दश्ना-ए-मिज़्श्गाँ किये हुए

Ask again I for someone as combatant
Those eyelash daggers, sharpened by kohl

इक नौबहार-ए-नाज़ को ताके है फिर निगाह
चेहरा फ़ुरोग़-ए-मै से गुलिस्ताँ किये हुए

Eyes seek again beauty in first blossom
Her face flushed of wine, a garden of color

फिर जी में है कि दर पे किसी के पड़े रहें
सर ज़ेर बार-ए-मिन्नत-ए-दर्बाँ किये हुए

Again wish I to lie at someone's door
Head weary of pleading to the guard

फिर शौक़ कर रहा है ख़रीदार की तलब
अर्ज़-ए-मता-ए-अक़्ल-ओ-दिल-ओ-जाँ किये हुए

Desire summons a purchaser yet again
Bidding anew for my mind my spirit my heart my life

फिर चाहता हूँ नामा-ए-दिलदार खोलना
जाँ नज़र-ए-दिलफ़रेबी-ए-उन्वाँ किये हुए

Yearn I to open a letter from my Love, agree, to
Sacrifice my life for the seduction of what’s said

जी ढूँढता है फिर वही फ़ुर्सत के रात दिन
बैठे रहें तसव्वुर-ए-जानाँ किये हुए

My life seeks again those hours of languor
Sitting for long, thinking of Beloved

दिल फिर तवाफ़-ए-कू-ए-मलामत को जाये है
पिंदार का सनमकदा वीराँ किये हुए

Heart goes again to that alley-trap of ill-intention
Leaving vacant the noble temple of pride so built.

“ग़ालिब” हमें न छेड़ कि फिर जोश-ए-अश्क से
बैठे हैं हम तहय्या-ए-तूफ़ाँ किये हुए |

Ghālib: Leave me be, for eyes full of tears
I sit, mind made up to unleash a torrent at will.

Mirza Asadullah Khan's life was one of witnessing the eclipse of the Mughals before, during, and after the defeat of the Great Indian Mutiny of 1857.

दिल फिर तवाफ़-ए-कू-ए-मलामत को जाये है
पिंदार का सनमकदा वीराँ किये हुए |

No comments:

Post a Comment